Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do you block P2P ?

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 12:38:24 -0400

Gregg, Christopher S. wrote:
I think knowing the size of the schools would be a key item as well.
We have 2,500 resident students, and 11,000 total students (who could
potentially be using wireless for P2P).  We don't block P2P.  We use
the Packetshaper to limit P2P bandwidth, and the residence hall
network overall during normal business hours.  We have received about
120 DMCA complaints per year over the last two years.

Good point. We have 2800-2900 students, nearly all resident, and we
merely limit P2P bandwidth. Recipients of DMCA notifications are placed
in a special group where we then block their P2P traffic outright.

We received about 200 notices last year, and 14 in the two weeks since
students returned to campus. Not one of our notifications was due to
Skype ;-)

--
Celebrating the 150th anniversary of the publication of the Origin of
Species.

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step" -- Denis Diderot.