Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do you block P2P ?

From: "Gregg, Christopher S." <csgregg () STTHOMAS EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 12:51:54 -0500

I think knowing the size of the schools would be a key item as well.  We have 2,500 resident students, and 11,000 total
students (who could potentially be using wireless for P2P).  We don't block P2P.  We use the Packetshaper to limit P2P
bandwidth, and the residence hall network overall during normal business hours.  We have received about 120 DMCA
complaints per year over the last two years.

Chris Gregg
Director of Information Technology
Information Resources and Technologies
University of St. Thomas