Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do you block P2P ?

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () UTC EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 12:01:31 -0400

We block P2P that we can recognize, but do allow known BitTorrent
updates such as Blizzard games [World of Warcraft].

There have been a couple of legitimate requests for torrent access, if
they are properly submitted/documented and originating from reserved
IPs, we do allow those exemptions as well.

The only DMCA notification we have received in recent years was related
to an "affiliate" that used our edge for transit, and thus bypassed our
shaper (which has since been corrected!).

Jeff