Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do you block P2P ?

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 12:42:38 -0400

Mike Porter wrote:
How do you handle cases where a machine gets elected to be a
supernode?  We find the amount of NetFlow traffic this generates to
be rather large.  Not the bandwidth, though.

We don't see all that many supernodes in practice. The netflow traffic
isn't much of a problem. One other thing we've done is we picked a UDP
port to be open on the firewall for inbound connections for Skype, and
we have everyone set Skype to use this port for incoming connections, a
setting on the Advanced preferences pane on my copy; don't remember what
the equivalent Windows setting is...

--
Celebrating the 150th anniversary of the publication of the Origin of
Species.

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"No act of kindness. No matter how small is ever wasted. --Aesop.