Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Student Accounts After Graduation

From: Theresa Rowe <rowe () OAKLAND EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 09:07:57 -0400

Hi,
My response is late, but I thought I'd share.  Since we have single-signon
here, an account has access to many online resources, including library
resources.  We carefully review all the contracts and licenses for all the
services that are authenticated against an account.  Given that situation,
we found that we had issues with keeping accounts.  So our student LDAP
accounts, which correspond to their email account (GMAIL), are only kept
one year after the last term of registration.  That keeps us in compliance
with all the services authenticated from that account.  We've periodically
had requests for keeping alumni accounts, which we discontinued back in the
mid-1990s, and sometimes folks want that returned.  If we do that, we'll
have a separate alumni domain that provides limited access to those
services where there are no license or contract issues.

Theresa

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 8:33 AM, Pedersen, Krystal <