Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Student Accounts After Graduation

From: Chris Green <chrisgreen () GSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 13:32:48 +0000

Krystal:

I think you've hit on the two common solution in the space from Manuel and Quinn.

The other common solutions involve open records laws (separate FERPA student email from Staff Email).

Stumbling blocks:

   Multiple addresses for one person (student/staff)
   Sensitive Records in Mailbox (e.g. Professional schools, Research Assistants) -> Break namespace at Graduation
   Third party services (such as xbox live accounts)

The right answers in my mind are the hardest to grow into giving alumni ;-)
--
Chris Green
Director, Information Security Services

o: 404-413-4378