Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Student Accounts After Graduation

From: Thomas Carter <tcarter () AUSTINCOLLEGE EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 11:53:26 -0500

We currently use internal hosting for student email. Their account stays active for 1 year following their graduation
in case email is used for job applications, grad school applications, etc. It also makes it easier to get transcripts
and other information.  "Eternal" accounts may have been more useful back in the day, but now generally all students
have their own personal gmail/yahoo/Hotmail/whatever accounts; many I've talked to don't care about their student
account and only use the email because it is basically necessary for some school and professor communications.

Thomas Carter
Network and Operations Manager
Austin College
903-813-2564