Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: University credentials used by third parties

From: "Bristol, Gary L." <gbristol () OU EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:47:37 +0000

The NTDS systems on board Destroyers and Carriers were comprised of a couple of 1218's (UNIVAC 418), processed the
Video from the IFF system and Could automatically update the Operators consoles with positions on the aerial targets in
the area.
(you did't want to have that on when you scanned a Carrier as Hundreds of planes would pop up on top of the Surface
symbol. The 1218's would also take the inputs from the Weapons Systems on board via some Analog to Digital  converters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNIVAC_418

The  CP642b, (UNIVAC type #1212) was the main workhorse on the Ship and ran all of the programs for the Display
operators (OS) in the NTDS system  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Tactical_Data_System).

http://ed-thelen.org/comp-hist/univac-ntds.html

http://www.dluper.com/CP642BSpecs.html

http://vipclubmn.org/CP30bit.aspx

We had two CP642b's and two 1218's in the computer center and a BVP (Beacon Video Processor) and the manual switches I
spoke or were used to inter-connect these systems, either in a Dual or Single computer operational modes.

They also had a version of these that they ran on the larger repair ships where they did data processing for supply
departments.

Later I was transferred to a Shore Station that was tasked with coming up with a Testing system for these NTDS systems.

We filled a 40 foot trailer with Data General Computers and some other Communications equipment and we would pull it up
on a Pier and run cables across the pier to the ship to hook into their radar systems to run simulations.

We would put some NOVA computers on the Ship to interface to the Ships Radar system to simulate raw video input.

What I found interesting was when I went to the Data General Schools for these systems is that one of my instructors
was a Retired Chief Data Systems Technician, and he taught the same Digital Theories such as reading logical diagrams
that contained, AND, OR, NAND, NOR and Flip Flops, and they were either Positive or Negative, depending on whether a
One was a Positive or Negative voltage level.

The Data General Nova Computers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_General_Nova

The Data General Eclipse Computers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_General_Eclipse