Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Memories (was University credentials used by third parties)

From: Morrow Long <morrow.long () YALE EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:20:45 -0400

On Aug 20, 2010, at 5:10 PM, David L. Wasley wrote:
Anyone recall the META-4 computer? It had a CPU clock speed dial! As I recall, it was because some hardware I/O devices required code execution to be synchronized with the physical operation of the device.

        David

The University of New Haven still had a Digital Scientific META-4 when I entered graduate school there in 1981.

It had other unique features -- a major one was that the Digital Scientific META-4 was's instruction set was 'microprogrammed', could easy be modified and the computer could emulate another computer's instruction set (e.g. the 'metaphor').

Usually the META-4 was used to emulate the IBM 1130 instruction set but you could actually create your own machine language instructions as the opcodes were created by blackening portions of glass slides/ plates inserted into the computer.

H. Morrow Long, CISSP, CISM, CEH
University Information Security Officer
Yale University, ITS

This electronic transmission and any attachments are intended for the exclusive use for the addressee (s). only. The information may contain confidential and/or privileged information exempt and protected from unauthorized disclosure under Federal and State law. In the event some other person or entity received this transmission, the recipient is hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of this transmission or its content is not authorized and is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please contact me immediately at 203-494-9443, delete the file from your system, and destroy any hard copies of this transmission.