Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Memories (was University credentials used by third parties)

From: "David L. Wasley" <dlwasley () EARTHLINK NET>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 13:56:10 -0700

I believe UC Berkeley had the last fully operational CDC 6400 in the late 1970's. It had a large green circular system operator's screen. They had software that let them play a baseball simulation game during idle moments.

One of our "programming exercises" was to write a library that would emulate a newfangled thing called a "hardware stack."

Then there was the Cray. I was told the coax cabling on the "backplane" had to be cut and terminated to within a few mm of each other in order that propagation delays would be close enough to clock reliably parallel "words". Our Cray had blue and gold (Cal's colors) upholstery on it's circular bench.

As to radio interference, I recall someone writing a program for a Data General Nova that would "play music" on a nearby radio by executing different algorithms to effect different tones. "Music" was stretching it a bit; amusing would be more accurate.

        David
-----