Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do you block P2P ?

From: randy marchany <marchany () VT EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 16:44:57 -0400

At 15:12 -0400 9/3/2009, mike corcoran wrote:
How many of you block P2P on your campus?  If you do block it, how many
complaints do you receive because of it?

Whenever I hear the "do you block XXXX", I have to ask "what is the
purpose of the block?" The reason why I ask the question is to make
sure the "solution" doesn't introduce a worse problem than the one it
was trying to solve.

Obviously, I presume the block is to limit your liability with regard
to illegal downloads.  I also presume you have an extensive awareness
campaign on the dangers and merits of P2P downloads. Without that, you
won't be able to solve the problem. However, you really need to ask
the question "does the block prevent legit uses of P2P?". In our case,
we're a land grant edu so our extension division creates a lot of
useful video and audio information for a wide variety of their
customers. P2P tools provide a convenient way to distribute this
information. Block P2P outright and you impact a whole division of the
University. Performing Arts/Theater Arts depts may be impacted by an
outright block. Athletics may be impacted by a block. Just some things
to consider. Another thing to consider is where do you put the block.
P2P can be used to bypass blocks if it's configured properly and then
you're back at square 1. Wireless nets introduce a whole new way to
bypass traditional border based blocks.

Having said that, we don't block P2P but we do rate limit in the dorms.

-Randy Marchany
VA Tech IT Security Office