Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do you block P2P ?

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 15:49:28 -0400

mike corcoran wrote:
How many of you block P2P on your campus?  If you do block it, how many
complaints do you receive because of it?

We rate-limit for sanity's sake, but we do not block P2P. We hope to be
able to use our NAC to warn (not quarantine) clients when they launch
P2P applications of the potential risks of copyright violation as an
in-your-face educational tool, but we will not block the traffic.

And yes, last year we had a couple hundred takedown notices. I get to
process them all.

--
Celebrating the 150th anniversary of the publication of the Origin of
Species.

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"A good local pub has much in common with a church, except that a pub is
warmer, and there's more conversation." --- William Blake, (1757 - 1827).