Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do you block P2P ?

From: David Gillett <gillettdavid () FHDA EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 13:17:12 -0700

  We would prefer to rate-limit them, but don't yet have equipment that can,
so we block them.

  Two or three times, departments have come to us saying they need
BitTorrent
in order to stay current with updates.  We've offered to help them set up
with a static address and no redistribution -- and they have magically found

some viable alternative.

  We have ONCE, so far, had someone come to use with an academic need to run

Skype on a particular machine on our network.

  (We don't have residences on campus.  So far as we can tell, most of our
P2P
attempts come from laptops that "live" somewhere else but are visiting our
campus for the day.)

David Gillett