Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do you block P2P ?

From: David Gillett <gillettdavid () FHDA EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 15:04:32 -0700

  Skype resembles P2P technology in two key ways:  in its making
multiple overlapping/simultaneous connections to remote machines
that appear more likely to be end-user clients than servers, and
in its design assumption that network management is the enemy of
the application and its users.

  Without spending significant money on protocol-analysis boxes
that can distinguish between them, it is really hard to block one
and permit the other.

  It is about as hard to whitelist on the merits of the content as
to blacklist on its demerits.

David Gillett