Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do you block P2P ?

From: David Gillett <gillettdavid () FHDA EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 13:22:10 -0700

  Our objection to P2P is that it generally tries to saturate the
afflicted machine's Internet connection -- and until pretty recently,
on-campus Ethernet connections were frequently of higher capacity
than the whole campus's pipe to the Internet.  It wasn't what they
were using it for, but that their method (P2P) denied other
academic users access to the shared Internet connection.  No
content policing here....

David Gillett