Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do you block P2P ?

From: Charles Seitz <cseitz () UTM EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 14:18:23 -0500

The only P2P we outright block is Bitorrent. All others get rate shaped to
share 1k of bandwidth. That way, students can connect but will assume that
it's broken instead of getting rejected trying over and over again with
different P2P clients until they stumble on one that our packet shaper or
IPS doesn't know about. It seems to work quite well. We haven't had a RIAA
complaint in a very long time (knock on wood...). We will allow certain
exceptions on the student network to permit some games to update as they
frequently use P2P protocols.

Charles A. Seitz
Senior Security Analyst
University of Tennessee Information Security Office
Martin Campus
cseitz () tennessee edu
(731) 881-7966
Mobile (615) 948-3641