Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: AV - Full scans or On Access Scans

From: "Jenkins, Matthew" <matthew.jenkins () FAIRMONTSTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:25:43 -0400

Interesting points.  I was curious how one of our file servers would
respond, so I generated an EICAR string in notepad and got to a point to
save it in a directory I had access to, loaded up our AV console, turned
off auto protect, clicked save in notepad, and turned auto protect back
on.

I then turned off auto protect on my workstation and attempted to access
the file.  I got an "Access is denied" on my workstation, and on the
console of the server SAV popped up its dialog notifying me a virus had
been detected.  So this behavior must differ between AV clients.  Thanks
for that note as we are considering switching our workstation client to
another vendor and that is something I will be sure to test.

Ps:  We are running Symantec Enterprise on the server I tested, so
apparently it catches things as they are read off the file system.

Matt

Matthew Jenkins
Network/Server Administrator
Fairmont State University