Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: AV - Full scans or On Access Scans

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:08:07 -0400

Charlie Prothero wrote:
We had the same problem at Keystone College. Theoretical question here: Say a piece of malware gets onto a machine before your AV software has a signature for it. The AV software is subsequently updated to detect that malware. If the malware had managed to install itself, it’s gone on the next reboot. Otherwise, it’s just sitting on the drive, undetected because it isn’t referenced. If it was, the AV software would nab it. Obviously, it’s not **desirable** to be storing a virus collection, but how much of a problem would it be, provided the AV on-access scanner is active?

We schedule full scans and I had always wondered the same thing.
However, we've had cases where the full scan detected something,
the machine was inspected, and undetected malware was active.
So I've come around to believing the full scans are a valuable
defensive layer.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer