Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: AV - Full scans or On Access Scans

From: "Jenkins, Matthew" <matthew.jenkins () FAIRMONTSTATE EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 17:23:23 -0400

David, you bring up a good point on detecting new malware.  That is a
good argument for full system scans on workstations (I need to push for
this again soon).  Currently we have our servers configured to do full
system scans on Sunday at midnight.  Our workstations currently rely
exclusively on on-access scans; however, we may be switching products in
the near future and I will be pushing for weekly full system scans.  The
only drawback is client software that will force the scan if the
schedule is missed.  This causes great headaches for users that turn
their computers off, which includes most laptop/tablet users.

Matt

Matthew Jenkins
Network/Server Administrator
Fairmont State University