Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: AV - Full scans or On Access Scans

From: "Jenkins, Matthew" <matthew.jenkins () FAIRMONTSTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:12:31 -0400

In theory, the on-access scanner would nab the malware if the malware
tried to execute after signatures to detect it were installed.

Hence, a full system scan shouldn't be necessary, because the on-access
scanner should detect all malware/virus/Trojan/malicious code before it
executes.  Most on-access scanners scan things as they are read/wrote
from/to the file system, so even if someone tried to copy a virus it
should be caught.  We see this a lot on our FTP server where students
will upload infected Word documents and the on-access scanner will
immediately quarantine the file.

If the AV engine is shutdown or the signatures are out of date due to a
Trojan-type piece of code, the enterprise console or a NAC should catch
this and report back.  This would catch any attacks where either the
code was executed during a time when no signatures were available to
catch it or the on-access scanner was disabled for administrative
purposes (i.e. software installation).  If the on-access scanner was not
compromised and the signatures were updated after the malicious piece of
code was installed, the AV software should catch the malware in memory
with a 'quick scan'.

However, because that's all theory, I don't trust on-access scans enough
to not do (or want to do) a full system scan of all hosts.  I am curious
if anyone else has thoughts on that.  Does a full system scan really buy
us anything, other than sleep at night (a highly valued commodity)?
Just a thought.

Matt

Matthew Jenkins
Network/Server Administrator