Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: AV - Full scans or On Access Scans

From: Ken De Cruyenaere <kdc () CC UMANITOBA CA>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 15:18:19 -0500

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 03:58:25PM -0400, David A. Batastini wrote:

   All,

                   I'm trying to get the pulse of what other educational
   institutions are doing when it comes to managing AV scans on
   endpoints. Do you schedule full system scans or do you rely on the "on
   Access" scans to detect malware? If you run full system scans: how
   often, and what time are they set to run? If you do not run full
   system scans,  how do you mitigate the security risk of new malware (
   malware that AV did not detect during the initial on access scan)?

   As you can probably guess, I'm getting negative feedback on the
   intrusive behavior  of our complete system scans. In the past year,
   we've cut the frequency in half (from weekly to bi weekly) and
   randomized the time to try to lessen the impact. Anyone have any
   success stories they're willing to share?

   Thanks in advance,

   David

Hi
We request minimum of weekly AV scans.  The day and time is left up
to the department computer person.  Some choose daily scans.
Most choose weekly scans at noon on Wednesday.
The scan settings are controlled from the AV master console.

 Ken

--

 Ken  De Cruyenaere    Computer Security Coordinator
 kdc () cc umanitoba ca   Information Services & Technology