Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: AV - Full scans or On Access Scans

From: "I. W. Woodle" <iwoodle () UTK EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 16:43:42 -0400

It has been difficult to implement weekly automatic scans from the
server. We have used several methods to try to overcome the issue of
client system resource utilization during a scan. Our product (mcafee
vscan) gives you the ability to reduce the cpu priority and time used by
the scan. We have gotten away with it by having that set low, in
addition to doing the scan on Wednesday at noon (lunch break), reducing
the files scanned to system and other critical areas and avoiding memory
scans.

Additionally, instead of "hiding" the scan from the user, giving them
the ability to stop the scan in the window reduces the moans but almost
guarantees that the scan will never complete.

Ultimately we must put faith in the on-access scanner and hope that our
users will follow recommendations to do the full scans every week at
their slow times. Otherwise it would require a hard fast policy that
could never meet the needs of the institution and at best be highly
intrusive to day to day business activity.

Another option I have been pondering is using multiple "small" scans
that take place every day to get the whole system once a week. Not sure
that would really work well either.

Good luck.
-Wes

I. W. Woodle (Wes)
University of Tennessee
Antivirus Administrator

In the end, we rely on the on-access scan and the user's scheduled full
scans to protect.