PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Bypassing Vontu

From: rgula at tenablesecurity.com (Ron Gula)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 12:09:49 -0400

Brian Schultz wrote:
Our security department is testing out Symantec's Vontu and I am playing
the guinea pig and have to try and get documents out of our company's
environment. I have a really basic understanding of how it works. It has
a span port sitting and listening to all outgoing web traffic and there
is also an agent that sits on desktops and watches to see if any
sensitive information leaves via USB drive or e-mail.

Does anyone have any whitepapers or info regarding how it actually works
or any tactics I should try?

Keep in mind the general consensus on DLP is that they stop/detect
"simple" leakage, which can be a real threat if you have uneducated
users who are doing things like emailing customer lists to their hotmail
account.

However, to show that this indeed can be bypassed:

Try to send some attachments that are:

- zipped and password protected
- PDFs with a password
- screen shots of spreadsheets, docs, .etc
- PGP an attachment (use AxCyrpt, or any other "free" crypt tool)

Also try send an attachment/email :

- to gmail
- to hotmail
- post a doc to facebook
- send it via IM to a buddy using an encrypted client
- if you have comcast or timewarner, most email is encrypted over SSL/TLS

I'm sure there are lots more ideas out here.

--
Ron Gula, CEO
Tenable Network Security