PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Bypassing Vontu

From: lonervamp at gmail.com (Michael Dickey)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 11:52:17 -0500

Encrypt your email going out. Either using internal technologies (if your
company has any implemented [zix, ironport, etc]) or set up your own (such
as PGP). Or just encrypt your data yourself with something. Simpler the
better. ROT13? Rather than just email, try to save the file out on your
network shares, or a USB key, or burned to a CD.

Try to upload to an SSL-enabled site that you control.

If you have an Excel file or something, try playing with the columns and
splitting up fields that may trigger the detections, like SSN or CC# before
sending it to yourself out in the world.

If you're really having some trouble, start looking into tunneling traffic
(http, dns?) or stego. Stego the files or otherwise scramble them and try to
use your USB stick. Or an encrypted one. Or boot into a livecd and harvest
straight from your disk.

DLP vendors love when you mention anything to do with SSL or encryption. :)

My typical opinion of DLP is that it is a good idea, but it is worthless
without several other controls such as physical access, device access, local
admin rights, web proxies, egress firewalling, etc. Otherwise it suffers the
same issues many accuse AV of: pattern and signature matching limitations.
If you throw it something proprietary or strange, it'll be defeated.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 10:44 AM, Monkey Daemon <
monkeywebdaemon at googlemail.com> wrote:

2009/10/22 Brian Schultz <theconqueror at gmail.com>:
 > Our security department is testing out Symantec's Vontu and I am
playing the
guinea pig and have to try and get documents out of our company's
environment. I have a really basic understanding of how it works. It has
span port sitting and listening to all outgoing web traffic and there is
also an agent that sits on desktops and watches to see if any sensitive
information leaves via USB drive or e-mail.

Does anyone have any whitepapers or info regarding how it actually works
or
any tactics I should try?

Switch off the box, open the case and walk out with the disk in your
briefcase/laptop bag?

MWD