PaulDotCom mailing list archives

That degrees do you have?

From: Russell.Butturini at Healthways.com (Butturini, Russell)
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 07:21:58 -0500

I have a B.S. in Management Information Systems, and also teach infosec
classes.  If you want to teach, one thing you have to watch out for now
though is, depending on where you teach and who their accrediting body
is, there is a movement towards requiring that you have a degree that
meets two conditions:

1.  The degree must be one level higher than the level of the class you
are teaching (i.e. if you are teaching an associate level class you need
a bachelor's degree, if you are teaching a bachelor's level class you
need a master's degree, etc.)

2.  The degree must be directly related to the field you are teaching
(i.e. if you are teaching Infosec classes, your degree must be in
infosec instead of MIS etc.)

They tend to let me slide on #2 because I have enough IT certifications
for them to justify it to the accreditation committee.  But again, it
varies between accrediting bodies.