PaulDotCom mailing list archives

That degrees do you have?

From: j2mccluggage at adelphia.net (Jody & Jennifer McCluggage)
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 19:59:44 -0400

I don't formally teach infosec but do a few public info security
presentations a year to various area groups.

I have a BSBA in Management Information Systems, Accounting, and Finance.  I
have an MS in Computer Science.  I have found the combination of business
and technology valuable.

As others have said, the BS, along with certain certifications, (or other
equivalent qualifications such as certain military experience) does make it
a little easier to get your foot in the door.  After you have been working
in a particular field for a while, experience becomes more important and
degrees and certifications less.  Several episodes back Paul and company had
a good discussion around the value of certifications that roughly followed
the same line of thinking.

Also as others have said, a lack of degrees and certifications do not
necessarily mean someone lacks the skills or qualifications to do the job.
I am certain there are many on this list who do not have degrees or
certifications that have better info sec skills than I do.  Unfortunately
you are always going to have some employers who are going to look for the
degree or certification when hiring.

Jody

  _____