Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Moving forward with defintion of honeypots

From: "Richard H. Cotterell" <seec () mail retina ar>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 14:49:26 -0300

Ref: Lance Spitzner <lance () honeynet org>'s
     message dated Monday, May 19, 2003, 22:23 hours.

Based on all the feedback we have been getting, I've
narrowed this down into two options.

OPTION A
--------
  "A honeypot is an information system resource who's
   value lies in being probed, attacked, or compromised"

OPTION B
--------
  "A honeypot is an information system resource who's
   value lies in monitoring unauthorized or illicit use of
   that resource"

In purely stark objective terms, Option B would be the natural choice.  I
don't see any reason why not to include the term: 'or attempted use... '
insofar as a failed attempt does indicate the illicit nature behind the
action.

Not to far off in the future, unauthorized use - whether licit or not in
nature - will become a criminal offence.  The writing is on the wall!

Cheers!

--
Richard H. Cotterell  <mailto:seec () mail retina ar>

Knowledge is a process of piling up facts; wisdom lies in their
simplification.
  -Martin Fischer, American philosopher, poet, and essayist