Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Moving forward with defintion of honeypots

From: Jeremy Bennett <jeremy_f_bennett () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 09:52:14 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Richard La Bella (Florida Honeynet)" <richard () sfhn org> wrote:

I use the term "any interconnected" to explain that a disconnected
honeypot
by itself does not provide purpose and value. Also, a honeypot can be
"any"
interconnected system as well. A router, a server, VoIP phone, etc.

I disagree. There is value in a honeypot that is not connected to any
network at all. Think of a kiosk honeypot that is put in place to track
attempts to compromise other kiosks, there is no real need to have it
connected to a real network. Likewise, a wireless honeypot AP could be
said to not be connected to a real network.

-J