Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Honeypot Defintion - Almost There!

From: Tora <tagetora () users sourceforge net>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 17:28:34 +0200

Hello all,

"Volker Tanger" <volker.tanger () discon de> va escriure:
Greetings!
On Fri, 23 May 2003 09:30:56 -0500 (CDT) Lance Spitzner

<lance () honeynet org> wrote:
Am I being to anal here, too detailed oriented?  Without
the word monitoring, the defintion would look like this.

   "A honeypot is an information system resource who's
    value lies in unauthorized or illicit use of that
    resource"

...value lies in the analysis of unauthorized or...

the analysis isn't a property of the honeypot, it's a procedure or method
that uses the honeypot as a resource.

Setting up a honeynet and leaving it all alone has not much value,
doesn't it? Well, maybe as decoy/distraction, but then it would be
more better called a tarpit (if it is a decoy holdung an attacker)?

Ok, I agree with this, but I think that we don't must to mix what is the
resource (definition) and how we use it (functionality).

Best regards

Tora