Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Honeypot Defintion - Almost There!

From: "Volker Tanger" <volker.tanger () discon de>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 16:48:03 +0200

Greetings!
On Fri, 23 May 2003 09:30:56 -0500 (CDT) Lance Spitzner
<lance () honeynet org> wrote:

Am I being to anal here, too detailed oriented?  Without
the word monitoring, the defintion would look like this.

   "A honeypot is an information system resource who's
    value lies in unauthorized or illicit use of that
    resource"

...value lies in the analysis of unauthorized or...

Setting up a honeynet and leaving it all alone has not much value,
doesn't it? Well, maybe as decoy/distraction, but then it would be
more better called a tarpit (if it is a decoy holdung an attacker)?

Bye

Volker Tanger

--

Besuchen Sie unsere neuen Internet-Seiten http://www.detewe.de .
Neues Highlight: Wunschproduktberater fuer den Home & Office-Bereich.

Visit our new Internet Pages on http://www.detewe.de .
Our Highlight: Online Product Adviser for Home & Office.
(Currently available in German only)