Honeypots mailing list archives

RE: Moving forward with defintion of honeypots

From: "Gonzalez, Albert" <albert.gonzalez () eds com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:15:07 -0400

Honeypots are illusions you weave for the attacker. Though with that said,
I don't think that patching your honeypot to catch the information is
deceptive.
all my *none* honeypot systems employ similar patches[1] as a security
measure for that
day I might get compromised. My high interaction honeypots are physical
systems
running the real os for the attacker to play with. I haven't held a gun to
his head or
threaten to kill Ginger making him compromise my box, so I don't know what I
did to deceive him?

 Cheers,
 Alberto Gonzalez

[1] - These patches include having bash log commands to a non-default
location, syslog patches, etc...
        Just in case I get compromised, most "common" trail hiding
techniques will be defeated.