Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: regarding spam...

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 12:57:22 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Adam Shostack wrote:
Back when we were building anonymous networks at Zero-Knowledge, we
worried a fair bit about being a source of spam.  We limited outbound
messages to 250 recipients per day, and refused service for additional
messages.  Very few legit users ran into this, and most of our
spammers did.

It seemed to work really well, and it was a really simple hack to
qmail.

Not bad.  I assume this worked because ZK users were "authenticated" to
the system?  The same would work for any big ISP that does
relay-after-POP, I would think.  Not workable for ISPs that just rlay for
anything in their address space?  Or would limiting to 250 per IP per day
be close enough? (considering the volume that spammers need to move.)

                                Ryan