Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: regarding spam...

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () wirex com>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 13:18:04 -0800

Robert Graham wrote:

In any event, spammers don't care. They are playing a numbers game. When you
play games like this, you and your friends escape the onslaught temporarily,
but spammers are unaffected. It's like anti-biotics: you are really just
encouraging them to evolve new techniques rather than seriously harming them.
Your investment in evading them becomes more than simply deleting the e-mails
in the first place.

It is precisely this effect that causes me to concentrate my spamfighting efforts on reporting spam to their ISPs. Services like spamcop.net reduces the effort required.

It also inclines me to favor the ISPs that blackball other ISPs who recklessly refuse to address their own spamming users. This was described in the media as "blocking China" but actually appears to be blocking irresponsible ISPs, who just happen to be in China. Do enough of this, and the non-spamming users will abandon the irresponsible ISPs, and they will go out of business.

Applying negative pressure to spammers and those who host them does not immediately reduce the spam in your inbox. But in the long term, it is the only thing that will make the spammers go away.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.