Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: regarding spam...

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 16:18:28 +0200

Andrew Fremantle wrote:

Hmmm... This may be a stupid idea, and I expect it to get shot down, but....
DISCLAIMER : I have not done any research on this, I'm just shooting from the hip...

[pretty nice scheme of connecting back to the originating MTA to
 see if it accepts anything in the RCPT TO field]

Pretty nifty. A couple of points though:

- Some people will hate you for connecting back. Expect calls
  on odd hours from sysadmins that accuse you of being a
  vicious hacker.
  This is a matter of personal preference. I'd rather take
  a few angry phone calls than my current spame rate :)

- You should not reuse the "MAIL FROM", since there are mail servers
  that allow relaying on sender domain basis. Although this is
  less than perfect, there are situations where filtering on sender
  IP is simply not practical.
  Do your testing from a bogus sender address.

- This will not find multi-stage relays (e.g. mail goes in through
  IP 1, and comes out through IP 2), but those are (I think) less
  common, which still makes the scheme useful.

- The TCP connect timeout can probably be lowered to 10 seconds or
  so, which decreases the lag time substantially.

- Remember that some MTAs will accept anything in the SMTP
  conversation. You can't determine if a host is an open
  relay just from what it says in response to "RCPT TO".

  To fix this, you can send the test mail to a trigger address
  (the same way the RBLs do) and then queue the inbound
  e-mail for a couple of hours.
  If no trigger mail shows up, allow the inbound e-mail.

  Of course, as Andrew said, this can all be cached
  in a white-list. The life times in the black-list shouldn't
  be too long though, since admins do sometimes fix their servers.

I like it. Unless someone screams bloody murder here in the next
few days, I think I'll implement a nice little wrapper script
for Qmail :)

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden

"Senex semper diu dormit"