Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: regarding spam...

From: "Kalat, Andrew (ISS Atlanta)" <akalat () iss net>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 10:51:49 -0500

Note: As always, these comments are my own, and not that of my employer...

I would agree that the vast majority of spam has a display name from
yahoo/hotmail, but in actuality is coming off open relays in Asia.

This brings up an interesting point I was thinking about last night. Let's
say this hypothetical service decides that the latest "Invest in this stock
now!" mail is spam. Seems like a reasonable decision. The hypothetical
company blocks this mail to all of their customers. The marketer for that
little gem takes exception to this, and decides that they are being blocked
from doing business. They throw a few lawyers at the company, and bu-bye to
this product...

I'm not sure how you could avoid that. Any thoughts?
Andy

Andrew J. Kalat,                | Direct:(404)236-2713
IT Infrastructure Manager       | Main:  (404)236-2600
Internet Security Systems, Inc. | E-Mail: akalat () iss net
6303 Barfield Road                | <http://www.iss.net/>
Atlanta, GA 30328                         | PGP key available.