Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: regarding spam...

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 07:44:54 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Thorkild Stray wrote:

Another regarded problem with this is of course the anti-spammers. They
complain about the spam. That's fine, but since they're either using
stupid scripts or can't read headers they end up complaining to a _long_
list of people who really are not to blame. I've seen abuse-mails with
50-70 entries CC'ed. None of them were to blame, and the offending relay
wasn't notified. When you get 50-70 of them a day, it gets higly annoying
to read your postmaster/hostmaster mail accounts. These people often dig
up the most remarkable addresses to mail.

Which of course speaks to the lack of standards and enforcement of any
standards on how ISP's and companies should be dealing with
abuse/security/spam related issues.  Some have an abuse@ address others
use a security@ address, some think all these reports should go to root@
or admin@ and some sites just plain have bogus whois info so you can't
reach anyone.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!