Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: regarding spam...

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () wirex com>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 11:46:33 -0800

Kalat, Andrew (ISS Atlanta) wrote:

This brings up an interesting point I was thinking about last night. Let's
say this hypothetical service decides that the latest "Invest in this stock
now!" mail is spam. Seems like a reasonable decision. The hypothetical
company blocks this mail to all of their customers. The marketer for that
little gem takes exception to this, and decides that they are being blocked
from doing business. They throw a few lawyers at the company, and bu-bye to
this product...

That doesn't seem like much of a problem to me. The software is not blocking the spam, it is just enforcing whatever policy the ISP has configured. If there is liability attached, it is to the ISP.

I have heard of at least one ISP that was victimized by a spammer who preemptively got a preliminary injunction from a court that forced the ISP to continue allowing the spamer to operate while the court figured out how to pull their head out their ass. So it's a real problem, but I don't see it being related directly to the technology used to detect outgoing spam. Just so long as what the technology enforces is consistent with the posted AUP.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.