Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Scare Me !!

From: Ken Hardy <ken () bridge com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:00:32 -0500 (CDT)

I need to induce a healthy respect for Internet dangers into
some folks around here.  I know the dangers, or enough of them,
but it's wearing to try to educate one after another exec,
network tech, etc.

In addition to the regular sort of security literature, a list
of real-life (or very possible) security incidents that could
help foster a healthy respect for the potential dangers might
be real useful.  An internet shop of horrors website, perhaps.
I'd appreciate anything useful in this regard.

I'm trying to reach the sort of people who think that a) we
have a firewall so we're safe; b) a packet filter is a firewall
(even if all ports >1024 are open!); c) desktop modems are
nothing to worry about; d) we *need* to support the
impossible-to-defend protocols of the latest whiz-bang internet
app through the firewall; e) policy?  we don't need no stinkin'
policy; f) etc., etc., etc.

 -- KH