Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Scare Me !!

From: Lance Spitzner <spitzner () dimension net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:32:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Ken Hardy wrote:

I need to induce a healthy respect for Internet dangers into
some folks around here.  I know the dangers, or enough of them,
but it's wearing to try to educate one after another exec,
network tech, etc.

Two papers that may help.

"Know Your Enemy" covers the tools and tactics of script kiddies.
How the randomly probe the Internet for vulnerable targets.
http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/enemy.html

"Know Your Enemy:III" covers step by step how a script kiddie
hacks a system, covers his tracks, and then monitors your every
move.  The paper is based on a system that was hacked last month.
I have system logs and keystrokes to verify the black-hat's every
move.
http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/enemy3.html

Hope that helps :)

In addition to the regular sort of security literature, a list
of real-life (or very possible) security incidents that could
help foster a healthy respect for the potential dangers might
be real useful.  An internet shop of horrors website, perhaps.
I'd appreciate anything useful in this regard.

I'm trying to reach the sort of people who think that a) we
have a firewall so we're safe; b) a packet filter is a firewall
(even if all ports >1024 are open!); c) desktop modems are
nothing to worry about; d) we *need* to support the
impossible-to-defend protocols of the latest whiz-bang internet
app through the firewall; e) policy?  we don't need no stinkin'
policy; f) etc., etc., etc.

 -- KH

Lance Spitzner
http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/papers.html