Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall RISKS

From: "Stephen P. Berry" <spb () meshuga incyte com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 19:51:50 -0700

In message <s757b5fd.076 () sbscorp com>, "MIKE SHAW" writes:

You keep mixing the argument over whether a firewall is necessary with
whether a firewall should be misconfigured.  Of course a misconfigured
firewall is a bad thing, but the fact that you can misconfigure a firewall
doesn't mean you don't get one.  And now you assume that someone
who can't properly configure a firewall can configure, monitor, and
interpret an intrusion detection system?

No.  I'm not talking about a misconfigured firewall.

Codswallop.  Posit:  You're setting up a network into which you wish
to allow exactly two sorts of inbound traffic:  SMTP and DNS.  You
configure two dedicated boxen, one to run (say) postfix and one to run
(for example) bind 8.2 .  You turn off all other services on the machines,
and you're using an OS you know how to harden.  You configure your border
router to drop all traffic directed at these two boxen that is not
directed at either port 25 or port 53 (respectively).
Explain where a firewall would be -essential- in such a setup.

I can't.  But your example is probably relevant in < .01% of the environments
in the real world.  Plop about 10 windows 95 boxes behind that perimeter with
users chomping at the bit to run the latest Backorifice trojan screensaver and
see how long your servers stay secure in that environment.

I wasn't talking about a misconfigured firewall, but you appear to be
talking about a misconfigured infrastructure.

In any case, even if you do insist on dropping ten toys onto the same
segment as your SMTP/DNS/whatever servers, if you've set them up as
I've described it doesn't really matter.  If I'm not worried about exposing
my DNS server to the world, why would I worry about exposing it to
my internal network[1]?

And if you're worried about Bad Things happening to your wintel Boxen
and are expecting a firewall to prevent them, then you're already
suffering from a GCE[2].

I've actually seen a live hack demonstration that exploited a very similar
situation, once a client windows NT box was compromised.  In this example,
the hacker was able to place a trojan that initiated a telnet session over
port 53 from the client box.  Once in, the hacker placed keyloggers in and
was able to springboard off of this client into the host and do whatever
he wanted.  From there it would be very easy to compromise the routers
involved given enough patience, and there goes the whole security structure.

You seem to be trying to fix an essentially braindead
infrastructure with a firewall.  If you've designed your quote security
unquote architecture such that compromise of a single desktop is
bankrollable into a compromise of the entire enterprise, you've got
problems that firewalls aren't going to solve for you.

Not all complete and comprehensive security policies need include a
firewall at all, much less one as a major part.  In fact, in many
instances such a policy would -preclude- the use of firewalls[-].

Policies on thier own can accomplish nothing.  In the prior example,
50 memos about "not running executables from email" would not have
prevented an end user devoted to seeing a cute cartoon everytime
their screen saver came on.  ("just this once...it's from my friend....it's
a trusted source....")  In your own words: "Firewalls are mechanisms
for policy enforcement".  If you can't enforce a policy, what good is it?

Firewalls -are- mechanisms for policy enforcement.  So is an 8" air gap.
And login(1).  And possibly thumbscrews, depending on your employer's
attitude toward the lusers.

Firewalls are not the -only- mechanims for policy enforcement.  Some
policies (as I said before) cannot be enforced by firewalls and indeed
some policies (functionally or explicitly) preclude the use of firewalls.
In fact, in some lines of work -most- (sane) security policies preclude
the use of firewalls.

Don't get me wrong, I happen to think firewalls are just swell for
some applications.  But your assertion that a firewall is an essential
(or rather `*essential*') part of any security infrastructure is just
flat out wrong.

Note that I'm not advocating the notion that firewalls are not or
cannot be part of a well-devised security policy---I think that would be
just as specious as the line you're advocating.

TCP/IP and the internet are based off designs that never had security
in mind and are inherently insecure in their current form.

This is more or less true.  And it is for this reason (among others) that
a firewall is insufficient for some security applications.

- -Steve

- -----
1     Mod some denial of service possibilities and suchlike.
2     Gross Conceptual Error.