Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Scare Me !!

From: andrew.c.howard () exxon com
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:16:57 -0500

I am sure the list will be forthcoming soon enough, but I recommend that, instead of targeting one after another of
exec, tech, etc, you target the top decision maker.  That is, the executive sponsor of the company security policy.  It
sounds like you don't have a policy.  If you don't have a policy, then maybe a risk assessment hasn't been done.

Until management understands or at least sees how and by how much the bottom line can be affected (results of a risk
assessment), then they won't see a need for a policy (a map of the controls for the risks).  Without a policy (the
rules and consequences), then "enforcement" is a moot issue.  Good luck.  It can be a tough battle!!!!
---------Andy Howard   :-)
*      andrew.c.howard () exxon com <mailto:andrew.c.howard () exxon com>