Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Scare Me !!

From: "Joseph Judge" <joej () ultranet com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 12:13:25 -0400

All -

Good info ... and I'd like to add another point-of-view or mindset
that may help. (sorry for the length of the ramble)

The Fear Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD) is true -- but not all folks in
a corp respond or believe in it.  Business folks live in the area of
"risk as an opportunity" -- and they see their business risk and
try to make balanced choices in that space.  Security folks tend to
view "risk as a threat" and, the better ones, try to balance the
threat vs. business needs.  But, the company execs (CxO, etc) live
in the space between -- seeing both sides, trying to find best fit.
Many of the previously-though "thats an IT sec issue" (for the back
room) now affect the board room. CEOs go to jail, shareholders sue
them -- a lot of the key security issues are (or should be) of concern
to the folks up the totem pole.

But, you _do_ have to speak to them in terms they can understand
-- as mentioned in the previous email.

        - joe

If you've been touching the area of risk management and technical
security issues for a good length of time, then you know there are
some serious issues out there that do _not_ hit the papers:

        (some examples from my company's client list)
- some seriously sick folks out there (e.g. child pornographer *just*
walked out of a large financial services company into the arms of
U.S. Customs)
- companies firing the a department-sized set of folks due to serious
levels of porno surfing ... even after major warnings and attention
bring brought to bear (awareness).
- very large insider fraud at some very well known companies in the
last month or two (senior execs walking out with huge amounts)
- and the standard missing sources of wire transfers, Boston Globe
highlighting the missing lottery money (small compared to the previous
missing lottery money)

... OK ... noticed we've not even mentioned the items that indicate
that terrorism is intersecting with "cracker-like" activities, the
rising activities in (warning: hype-like term coming) Cyber-warfare.

supporting anecdotes:
- 102 of Fortune 500 have Internet "strike-back" capabilities
- the terrorists that hit the Lockerbie flight targetted that exact
flight due to the larger numbers of what appeared to be US govt folks
as discovered from hacking into a Saaber ticketing system

... OK ... many don't believe in the coming flak or understand the
current state of issue. Human nature also affects us -- we don't like
to think of the "set of folks like me" (e.g. employees in my company)
as potential "bad guys" -- so the insider bad guy has the edge. Heck,
company upper management doesn't want to make employees think they
are viewed as bad guys -- its a bad message for moral.  So try to
focus the approach to awareness on building connections, expressing
a corporate culture of "how we all are" that reinforces the security
aware employee - not for the doom and gloom message of "watch out
for the bad guy that may be sitting next to you!"

        -joe