Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Outsourcing Student Email - Security Concerns?

From: Russ Leathe <Russ.Leathe () GORDON EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 18:22:06 +0000

Hi Allen,

We migrate to Live@EDU last year.  We migrated users in three phases, Alumni (8,000), Students (1600), Facstaff (500).

We were an internal Exchange 2007 shop and we weighed the pro's and con's against Live@EDU and Google.  The interface
on Live is what everyone was used to, for starters.

Other issues that made the decision easier.

1.)    Support for low vision, blind, special needs student

2.)    Support is with an actual MS person over the phone, not through e-mail

3.)    Management is  centralized and performed via the GUI - we use powershell to create accounts

4.)    Calendar  sharing over the web, texting calendar invites.

5.)    25GB storage, 10GB mailboxes

6.)    Lync, Sharepoint integration

7.)    Online MS Office apps

Overall, the users have been happy and our technical staff sleep better at night.

Upgrades have been a breeze since it is done by MS and usually over a weekend.

When there is an issue (and there have been a couple), you feel helpless because it use to be "all hands on deck" to
resolve the issue. Now we call a support desk.  So loosing that control has been tough.

The flip side,  24/7 support, uptime, and great 24/7 technical support.  The 2 issues we ran across were resolved
within an hour and affected about 20% of users each incident.

I hope this is helpful,

Russ