Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Outsourcing Student Email - Security Concerns?

From: "Kenneth G. Arnold" <bkarnold () CBU EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 16:01:24 +0000

You aren't really "putting the student's active directory accounts into someone else's hands" with Google. There is a
directory sync process that examines your active directory and Google and performs the necessary changes to get them
into sync by adding , removing and changing the Google information.  Google needs very little information in order to
operate so you are  not giving them access to the student's entire AD record.  You can use SSO to log the student into
Google which means that you don't have to share the student's password with Google. As far as compliance with FERPA,
Google's current terms of service states that they are as responsible for following FERPA as your own school.

As far as Microsoft vs Google, we felt that the students are more familiar and comfortable with Google Mail than with
Microsoft Mail.

Brother Kenneth Arnold
Christian Brothers University
Information Technology Services
Associate Dean, Information Technology Services
(901) 321-4333