Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Outsourcing Student Email - Security Concerns?

From: Jesse Thompson <jesse.thompson () DOIT WISC EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 21:20:13 -0500

Given recent events, I'm curious if anyone knows if these cloud providers are storing the plain text passwords, or just the password hashes. And if they are hashed, are they also salted with something unique for your domain? We know that China has been poking around Google's servers...

Personally, I feel that any decision to work around deficiencies in the reliability of your architecture, at the possible expense of improving it, will only lead to further de-prioritization of improving reliability, which in turn causes you to want to depend on it even less. Sure, you can get away with this for email, but what about everything else? Is the importance of email greater than the aggregate sum of everything else that depends on SSO? Are you going to decentralize sign on for every other campus service? At what point do you decide that you're giving your passwords over to too many uncontrollable services?

Jesse Thompson
UW-Madison