Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Outsourcing Student Email - Security Concerns?

From: "Francis, Greg" <francis () ITS GONZAGA EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 10:12:57 -0700

Hi Allen,

At Gonzaga, those of us that dealt directly with student mail balked for
more than a year about moving our students to a hosted e-mail solution
because of technical. A lot of those concerns were tied back to service,
reliability, security, and compliance. At the same time, we had issues with
our local mail service for students (Horde/IMAP/Sendmail) with performance
and storage allocation. We just couldn¹t match what the hosted providers
offered. In talking with students, most of them were all for a hosted
solution if it improved their functionality, performance and capacity. We
also provide lifetime e-mail for our alumni so that was also an issue for
us.

Last August, we moved all of our students over to Google Apps for Education
and it has been fairly successful.

The biggest pain point was that we changed student¹s e-mail addresses
because they shared the same address space as faculty and staff and we
wanted the MX records to go directly to Google instead of passing through
Gonzaga¹s mail system. That was a real annoyance to some alumni as well
since they had had the same address for more than ten years. We don¹t get
complaints about it anymore though.

We chose to implement SSO for authentication. We don¹t replicate passwords
to Google at all; the students end up touching a local page to authenticate
using AD and then get passed back to Google once they¹re authenticated. This
doesn¹t work for IMAP so if a student want to use IMAP for a mobile device,
etc, they need to setup a separate IMAP password which may or may not be
their AD password (encourage a different password).

The migration certainly had its share of issues but I think that our
students are happier with Google than they were with our internal mail
system and they have a lot more capabilities and storage than we could have
ever provided them in-house. There are some IT-side issues with things like
mail tracing and mailbox review that we were able to do formerly that is
more problematic in a hosted model. However, those issues are relatively
small in comparison to the overall benefit.

The biggest challenge that I believe we¹ll face in the upcoming year or so
is the desire for faculty to collaborate directly with students through
Google Apps. To date, we don¹t provision employees on Google (we are
Exchange for employees) but we¹ll have to see how that plays out in the
future.

We did do an evaluation of Google Apps vs Microsoft Live@EDU) and ultimately
chose Google. That evaluation is now more than eighteen months old and the
services have continued to evolve so I can¹t speak to the relevancy of that
comparison today. I will say that Google¹s provisioning and management
systems were far less mature than we had hoped. They are continually
improving though which is helpful.

Greg