Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Outsourcing Student Email - Security Concerns?

From: Mike Porter <mike () UDEL EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 16:29:17 -0400

On Thu, 26 May 2011, Francis, Greg wrote:

As a campus using SSO, I agree that BC is a major consideration. We chose
the SSO option to keep passwords local. However, when we had an internal
event that knocked out our VMWare environment, students lost the ability to
login to Google. The solution is only as good as its weakest link and our
internal infrastructure is probably that weakest link with regards to Google
Apps. We have not changed our approach as a result of that event but it did
reconfirm a weakness that we had already seen in an SSO configuration.

Greg

Same thing here.  I will add that one of the big wins for us with
SSO is we can log when and where the logins are coming from.  When
investigating hacking issues, this is very useful.

Mike

Mike Porter
Systems Programmer V
IT/NSS