Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Outsourcing Student Email - Security Concerns?

From: Walter Moore <moorewr () ECKERD EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 11:57:48 -0400

There have been some fairly public debates about this, notably at Yale.
http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2010/mar/30/its-delays-switch-to-gmail/

Our discussion centered on the Google Apps SLA, but in the end our General
Counsel felt was acceptable. We ended up using a password sync process
instead of SSO, but you could opt to run a SAML server. In that scenario
your AD password would not be stored or synced to Google Apps.

Be aware that users will, in that scenario, need to set a separate password
for external IMAP/SMTP clients (phones etc).