Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: University credentials used by third parties

From: Ozzie Paez <ozpaez () SPRYNET COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:40:09 -0600

No apologies needed, but it does bring to light the issue of how much will
be permanently lost due to the speed at which technology has progressed.
Over the last five decades computer equipment became obsolete so fast that
they were never old enough so that a museum or historical institution would
want them.  I actually kept several racks of Cisco firewalls, switches and
routers just so that I could show them to some of the newer guys that came
up after this type of equipment shrunk down to the size of a Kleenex box.  I
do think that we lose much when we do not have a point of reference to
inform us of how far and fast we have come.  Fun conversation from one and
all - Ozzie