Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: University credentials used by third parties

From: David Gillett <gillettdavid () FHDA EDU>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 13:43:26 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Valdis Kletnieks [mailto:Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU]
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2010 03:24
To: SECURITY () listserv educause edu
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] University credentials used by third parties

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 23:24:36 MDT, Ozzie Paez said:

Nice picture, but I call shenanigans.  Looks like a staged photo op with a
mock-up unit - does anybody seriously believe they shipped that thing
without a shipping crate to > protect that glass window that lets you see
inside? :)

  I had a college buddy whose field was Chemical Engineering -- so of course
he has spent most of his career in real-time and process-control
software....

  Anyway, one of his first jobs was in, I believe, Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan,
writing code for a minicomputer that hadn't actually arrived yet.  Well,
near the end of his posting, the manufacturer did TRY to send it, but
someone left out the styrofoam (6" on all sides) between the computer and
its crate.  It was a bumpy air freight flight, and the crate arrived full of
small pieces of metal and plastic.

David Gillett